My name is Lucia (Lushi) Chen. I’m a postdoctoral research fellow at Stanford University, Center for Health Policy (CHP) / Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research (PCOR). I obtained my Ph.D. in Informatics from the University of Edinburgh. My current research focuses on fair regression function optimization and machine learning model explanation in the health care setting. My Ph.D. research concentrates on applied NLP extracting affective, cognitive, and behavioral changes from social media text.
I’m on the job market this year. Here’s my CV
- Wilde, H., Chen, L.L., Nguyen, A.,, Kimpel,Z., Sidgwick, J., De Unanue, A., Veronese, D., Mateen, B., Ghani, R., Vollmer, S.(2020) A Recommendation and Risk Classification System for Connecting Rough Sleepers to Essential Outreach Services. In Data & Policy
- Chen L.L., Magdy W., Whalley H., Wolters M. (2020) It’s Not Just About Sad Songs: The Effect of Depression on Posting Lyrics and Quotes. In: Aref S. et al. (eds) Social Informatics. SocInfo 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12467. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-60975-7_5
- Chen, L., Magdy, W., Whalley, H., & Wolters, M. K. (2020, July). Examining the Role of Mood Patterns in Predicting Self-Reported Depressive symptoms. In 12th ACM Conference on Web Science (pp. 164-173).
- Chen, L. L., Magdy, W., & Wolters, M. K. (2020). The Effect of User Psychology on the Content of Social Media Posts: Originality and Transitions Matter. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 526.
- Chen, L., Cheng, C. H. K., & Gong, T. (2020).Inspecting Vulnerability to Depression from Social Media Affect. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 11, 54
- Chen, Lushi, Walid Magdy,and Maria K Wolters(2019).“Online Community Engagement when Talking About Infidelity: The Case of Reddit”. In: 5th International Conference on Computational Social Science. URL: https://2019.ic2s2.org/.
- Chen, L., Aldayel, A., Bogoychev, N., & Gong, T. (2019, June). Similar minds post alike: Assessment of suicide risk using a hybrid model. In Proceedings of the Sixth Workshop on Computational Linguistics and Clinical Psychology (pp. 152-157).
- 2017. Chen, L., Gong, T., Kosinski, M., Stillwell, D., & Davidson, R. L. (2017). Building a profile of subjective well-being for social media users. PloS one, 12(11), e0187278
18/6/2021, PhDone! I graduated!
16/12/2020, I will be doing my post doc with Health Policy Data Science Lab in Standford from mid-2021!
30/8/2020, I will be on a research visit to Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) in Rostock for three months
8/6/2020, I’m invited to be one of the panelists on Digital Innovation in Mental Health 2020, this is the first time I am a panelist and I’ve learnt a lot from the discussions.
7/17/2020 Our paper “It’s Not Just About Sad Songs: The Effect of Depression on Posting Lyrics and Quotes” is accepted to SocInfo 2020
6/18/2020 I lauch my channel ML_made_simple . I will be explaining algorithms and my research projects using animations 🙂
8/30/2019 I completed my internship with Data Science for Social Good . It was a fantastic experience to work with Homeless Link UK, mentors from University of Chicago and The Alan Turing Institute!
June 2019 – Aug 2019, The Alan Turing Institute
Data Science for Social Good Summer Internship
We worked with Homeless Link to optimized their Streetlink application. Our project was covered by Reuters
I like to communicate my research with animation. Check out my videos on YouTube: ML_made_simple